Saturday, August 27, 2005

Today was a productive day. Throughout this week, I have been feeling a full spectrum of emotions about this Vietnam fundraising expedition. Honestly, going to Vietnam to climb mountains like sheep and kayak in the bays with dolphins doesn't make me nervous....its the actual asking people for money that really jangles my nerves. I've never done anything of this scale before; raising at least five figures within two short months while training for a physically demanding expedition...not an easy feat.

It's taken a measure of courage on my part---I took a good few weeks to decide if I wanted to do this...Yes, I know I have the challenge of trying to reach my goal in 8 mere weeks...but which will it be? Sitting in front of the evening news, stewing about how everything is wrong with the world---or getting off my doughy ass and being proactive, doing something---even if it affects just one person?

I am discovering the gift of allowing my inner fire to push forth instead of letting that little secretary in the back of my head saying "...there's always next year...you've got too much on your plate...will raising 20,000 really FIX the world...?" rule my actions. I've always had a fancy to make living a rich experience, even if my bank account clearly points in the other direction. I've been blessed with so many wonderful friends who provide moral support and direction throughout this amazing, complicated journey. As I open this new chapter, and share it with you, I will be mentioning them, and their contributions...

I officially started fundraising on Friday, August 12th. In the two weeks since, there have been some contributors; I want to give a moment of thanks (in chronological order) to them for selflessly participating so eagerly. Pablo Aviles, Frank Dattolo, Debra Cole, Deborah Jaffe, Rebecca McGinnis, Ines Powell, Joe Brent, Cathy Newman, and Andrew Greene---thank you for your quick response and heartfelt support.

To my other friends who have expressed moral support: Jade, Carmen King, Jenny Perlis, Jackie Roth, David Leigh, Marina Lutz, Ellen Roth, George McDaniel, David Mensah, Temi Rose, Tiger Martina, J9 Mayring, Arlene Zacarias, Hillary and Alex Baack, Marti Converse, Alexandria Wailes, Erik Etzwiler and importantly, Steven Alexander and Kate Breen---thank you for making me smile and feel even more galvanized to keep pressing on with this exciting project.

I will be mentioning more friends and posting pictures as this process carries even further....please tell all your friends, family, corporate scions and other connections about this project!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anytime babycakes!- Frank

8/28/2005 2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home